Pickwick Village Homeowner Association Board Meeting, August 19, 2020
President: Stacey Krum
Secretary: Emily Kagey
Beautification: Jason Willis
By-Laws: Mike Tykoski
Welcoming: Kristin Noel
Social Media: Kyle Stone
Guests: Bob Cieslak
The meeting was called to order at 8:05 PM.
- The Slow Roll bike parade was a huge hit, with about 60 riders of all ages. The board discussed making this an annual event.
- Roadwork is in full swing.
- Stacey plans to prepare a hard-copy newsletter to be distributed when dues notices go out in early 2021.
- Reminder that this year’s Annual Pickwick Homeowner’s Association Meeting will be held September 15 at 7:00 p.m. in the North Park pavilion. Residents are encouraged to attend, while wearing masks and maintaining social distance.
Vice President’s report:
- No report
- Minutes from the July meeting were approved via email.
- Payment for any outstanding 2020 dues increased to $218 on August 15.
- The Treasurer provided an update of the financial reports.
- No report.
- The board voted via email to approve a project to mulch and clean up landscaping on the six cul-de-sac islands throughout the neighborhood. This work has been completed.
- Board members discussed the need to begin the application process for a smaller roads project. Funds for this project would come from savings that the board has begun to set aside to avoid the need for a special assessment. Pickwick would be eligible for another project in 2022. Mike will begin looking into the process.
- The board discussed other projects to consider for the upcoming year:
- Addressing the drainage issue in the south park: The board agreed this is a must-do item; Mike will begin getting quotes for drainage in both parks, with the south park being the priority for this year.
- Adding street sign toppers to identify our neighborhood: The board looked at a few options, and Stacey and Katy will begin gathering quotes
- Adding a frisbee golf course to both parks: Mike will get quotes and more information for the board; a sample course has been set up in both parks to see how logistics might work.
- Adding a horseshoe pit to the south park and updating the older horseshoe pit in the north park
- Adding a small pavilion in the south park (once the drainage has been addressed)
- Painting the north park pavilion
- Mike is going to get price estimates for having the stumps ground out of the parks versus renting a stump grinder.
- One Pickwick Village home sold in August. Welcoming packages will be delivered to new homeowners. One Pickwick home remains on the market.
- No report.
- The board discussed options for mitigating speeding on Greenwood Avenue.
- Speedbumps could be confiscated by the county if the association installs them without permits from the county (as recently happened in Detroit’s Greenacres Woodward neighborhood); at the same time, the county will not grant permits to install them. Pickwick residents have submitted several complaints over many years to try and have the issue resolved, with no response.
- The board reviewed options for discouraging speeding through other means. The association could buy and install a speed detection sign that alerts drivers to their speeding. Board members are pursuing price estimates for purchasing and setting up such a speed-monitoring sign.
- Residents are encouraged to continue contacting the Canton Police non-emergency number (734-394-5400) and Wayne County (1-888-762-3273; https://www.waynecounty.com/departments/publicservices/roads/traffic-operation-office.aspx) to submit complaints.
The meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
The Annual Meeting is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15 in the north park pavilion. All are welcome to attend and get involved!