Pickwick Village Homeowner Association Board Monthly HOA Meeting May 11, 2021

Attendance (absent members are highlighted):
President: Stacey Krum
Vice President: Katy Marquart
Treasurer: Karen Ryan
Secretary: Emily Kagey
Beautification: Mike Tykoski
By Laws: Kurt Richter
Welcoming: Kristin Noel
Social Media: Kyle Stone
Visitors: Jim Leddy, Jason Willis

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM.


President’s report:

  • Stacey and Katy met to pick dates for the summer events. These dates were approved and have been shared with the neighborhood:
    • Volunteer Neighborhood Clean-Up & Raffle – June 13
    • 2nd Annual Pickwick Slow Roll Bike Parade – July 31
    • Neighborhood Garage Sale – August 12–5
    • Annual HOA Meeting – August 21 @ noon
    • Annual Pickwick Picnic, Movie Night & Campout – August 21
    • Movie Nights Under the Stars – TBA
    • Chili Cook Off & Fall Movie Night – October 2
    • Annual Halloween Parade – October 31 @ 5:30 p.m.
    • Annual Holiday Lights and Decorating Contest – End of Nov. – Dec.
    • Annual HOA Dues Due – March 31


Vice President’s report:

  • No report.


  • No report. Minutes were approved via email.

Treasurer’s Report

  • As of the end of April, 96% of homeowners had paid the 2021 dues. Eight houses have not yet paid; several of these are related to transfer of ownership. Karen is reaching out to homeowners to receive the remainder of the payments.
  • The lawn contract and the deposit for the south park drainage project have both been paid.
  • The board received payment for one lien, leaving only one outstanding lien at this time.
  • The budget is on track. For a copy of the budget, please contact treasurer@pickwickvillage.org


  • The board discussed implementing a new process for homeowners to secure letters needed for projects such as fences and patios, since the Pickwick HOA does not have any regulations outside of those set by Canton.
    • Katy volunteered to look into creating an online form that homeowners could complete to help the board quickly generate letters as needed.


  • The new drainage project for the south park will be completed by Reliable Landscaping. The board has paid the deposit for this project, and the work is scheduled to take place at the end of August or in September 2021.
  • Mike replaced the roofs on the tiny libraries.
  • Mike installed post-protectors on the tiny library posts and one volleyball post in the north park. He is working to preserve the volleyball tournament signs on the second post. Those will then be relocated to the outside of the new post protector or to an internal-facing post in the pavilion.
  • Mike will rent a rototiller to till the volleyball court this year. This can be done as part of the clean-up day on June 13.
  • The board received two quotes for new mulch on the playscapes. Both quotes were approximately the same cost (about $3400), but one quote from Swifty was for about 40% more mulch. Emily made a motion to purchase the mulch from Swifty. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
    • Mike will spray the weeds in the playscapes before the mulch is delivered on Monday, May 17.
  • The board discussed plans for the upcoming clean-up day.
    • Jason Willis volunteered to let the board use his power-washer, with water from Emily Kagey’s house and Jason’s house in the north park, and from Kyle Stone’s house in the south park.
    • The board will plan to do a raffle for participants, with gift cards as the prize.


  • Three houses sold in March, and two house sold in April. Welcoming packages will be delivered to the new homeowners.

Social media

  • No Report.


  • The board began planning for the annual picnic:
    • Plan to get individually wrapped food (e.g., Jimmy John’s subs, individual bags of chips)
    • Stacey will contact the Kona Ice truck, an Ice cream truck, and the bounce house company

Old business

  • Follow-up to the emergency meeting held in April:
    • Stacey has received an email from the Canton Forrest community association manager assuring us the removal of greenery is just “some clean-up along property lines to help with rodent habitat and allow contractors easy access to fallen trees in the future.”
    • Pickwick residents have spoken with Fox Creek residents, who have indicated their neighborhood is also very unhappy with the tree/shrub removal.
    • Sandra Dem Boer and Bev Bazzell have been in contact with the Canton Community Planning and Ordinance Offices.
    • Emily is going to reach out to a Fox Creek HOA Board member to see if they plan to pursue any further action, and if we can coordinate action. (Update: Emily has contacted the Fox Creek HOA, and they will be discussing this at their next meeting.)

New business

  • Canton is accepting applications for 2022 road projects. Pickwick was selected for one of the large projects in 2020 (for which a special assessment was collected). The board has an established plan to use some of the HOA savings to apply for new, smaller projects each year, to help avoid the need for assessments for a large project.
    • Jim Leddy has volunteered to submit the application for a smaller project this year and serve as the main contact point.
    • Areas of priority include two spots on Greenwood (including the intersection at Cortland and Greenwood), the intersection of Cortland and Hanford, the intersection of Pickwick and Brookshire, and a dip on Brookshire.

The meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m.

The next meeting will be at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 17, 2021. The meeting is scheduled to be in the north park pavilion, as weather permits.

This entry was posted in HOA Meeting Minutes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.